Worker & Employee Focused
Before becoming a lawyer, Hank was on the international staff of the United Auto Workers union serving as the union's principal negotiator in several industries including machine tool, bearings and ship building. As both a UAW official and attorney he has negotiated hundreds of national and local collective bargaining agreements in the private and public sector, and has represented unions in arbitration, administrative proceedings including the National Labor Relations Board, and in state and federal courts.
A nationally recognized authority on union democracy, internal union election procedures and compliance issues, Hank was special assistant to the first court-appointed election officer in the Teamsters union and since that time has organized, conducted, and supervised hundreds of local, regional, national and international elections for dozens of international unions. He also served as a court appointed special master overseeing international union delegate elections, nominating conventions and rank-and-file voting.
A former skilled tradesman and merchant seaman, Hank shipped out at sixteen as an apprentice seaman and worked for the next eight years, during and after college, as a journeyman sailor and member of both the Seafarers International Union and the Sailors Union of the Pacific. Hank is always interested in employment cases involving the maritime industry.
- University of Connecticut School of Law
- Honors: Summa Cum Laude
- Honors: Blumberg Scholar
- Yale College
- Honors: cum laude
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- United Auto Workers' Union, Senior Officer
- United Auto Workers, Staff
- Connecticut Bar Association, Employment and Labor Section, Member
- National Employment Lawyers Association, Member
- Connecticut Employment Lawyers Association, Member
- Hartford County Bar Association, Member
- AFL-CIO, Lawyers Coordinating Committee
- Board of Connecticut Lung Association
- Connecticut Citizens Research Group, Board Chair
- Super Lawyer
Classes & Seminars
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Connecticut School of Law